I miss my family. Everyday I miss my family. Yesterday, my not-so-little-anymore little sister gave birth to my second nephew. An event I wish so badly I could have been home to attend. Mo is my best friend. She's the one I call when I need to talk things through, she's the one I want to share all the good news with. She's the only person in my family who knows how badly I want a child, and how much I have struggled in that aspect. Above all else, she's the one person I can honestly say I would die if something bad were to ever happen to her.
I am thankful for my entire family. I talk about Mo a lot, but really I am thankful for each and every single member of my immediate family, my extended family, and my family of friends. I wouldn't be who I am today without them and I really do miss them every second of the day.
There was once a time where someone said I was just like my mother, and they intended it to be an insult. I wouldn't want to be like anyone else. My mother is strong. She is independent. Although, at times she can be unstable, indecisive, and impulsive, she is my mother and I love each and every single one of those things about her. She taught me how to make decisions for me and not do things just to please other people. My mother raised me to love and show compassion. She has inspired me in so many ways and continues to do so on a daily basis. She goes after her dreams and doesn't let anyone stand in her way.
My mother's parents, although Grandma is no longer with us, inspire me with the way they loved each other. Their story is a beautiful story and although things were not always easy, they showed me what marriage should look like. They should me how to love someone else. I get my honesty from my grandmother who never stopped telling people how it was, how it should be, and what they did to upset her. I get my determination, craftiness, and hard-work ethic from my grandfather, a WWII Navy Veteran, who did everything to provide for his 4 kids and learned to enjoy the finer things in life while doing so.
My aunt is someone I adore and try to emulate in her willingness to be the glue that binds the family. Often acting as social director when my family is in town, and not keeping it to herself that she wished we were around a lot more growing up so we could know our family better. Although I will say that despite the fact he annoyed the crap out of me growing up, her son is fun to hang out with.
My father is living proof that a person can completely change. Growing up he was stern, he was strict, he tried to be cool (and all my friends loved him), but he had to make a real effort to put his family first. He was supportive of us girls, always pushing us to do better and excel in everything we did, even if it meant expressing disappointment when we didn't live up to his standards. As we've gotten older, he has completely changed from up-tight, white collar, everything-by-the-book to laid-back, Harley-owning, cigarette-chain-smoking, cool Daddy-o, ending everything with man or babe. I love the person he has become, he is fun to be around and I miss him more now than I ever would have thought possible. He has broken my heart more times than any boyfriend I've ever had and despite the pain in being pushed and pushed and pushed to greatness, I love him. His wife and her family are the essence of country cool; I am greatful for their help in his "transformation."
I know I am leaving people out, and I don't want them to think that I am not grateful for them. Truth be told I could go on and on about every single person I consider family for days and days. If I have left you off, please feel free to e-mail/comment me and ask me how grateful I am for you and in what ways.
Finally, I am grateful for my twin sister. We don't always see eye to eye and these days she seems like a complete stranger to me. When people hear about twins, they often think about this subconscious telepathy factor. She and I are complete opposites and we do not have that, however what we do have is a shared experience of growing up together. When we moved around and would start a new school with no new friends, we at least had each other. She's the friend I've had the longest and even though we struggle seeing eye to eye, I am truly grateful for that fact.
No comments:
Post a Comment