To say July has not been an easy month might possibly be the under exaggeration of the year. This past weekend seemed to be the hardest for me since the start of the month for several reasons. I do not want to be a Debbie Downer, so instead I want to pay tribute to a man who brought me so much joy in my years in Dallas, Kidd Kraddick. Kidd passed away Saturday in New Orleans doing the charity work he so loved. As silly as it sounds, I am profoundly affected by his passing for many reasons.
In 2002, I moved to the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex to attend the University of North Texas. You could not drive anywhere in that city without seeing a billboard of Kidd Kraddick and his morning crew, Kellie Raspberry and Big Al Mac. I had listened to his show a few times on early morning drives when I had to be to work early, but really did not become a fan until the summer of 2003 when I found myself up before most people getting ready for summer camp with my job at the Dallas YMCAs. Those mornings driving into work were filled with laughter and tears, usually from laughing, but those darn Kidd's Kids segments get you every. damn. time. Seriously!
From then until I graduated college in 2005, I listened every single morning on my way to class, sometimes sitting in the car, missing the bus from the former Fout's Field to campus and resorting to walking the mile to my class across campus at the language building. In fact, my first husband proposed to me right outside the studio one evening and even suggested I write to Kidd or at least leave him a note saying what had happened and see if he would come to the wedding. Sadly, that marriage didn't work out; there might be something in the water there...
After graduation, I listened on my 5 minute morning commute to work, but was ecstatic the days I had to go Downtown Dallas for meetings because it meant most of the time I got to listen to the entire broadcast sitting in traffic. It was by far my favorite part of the mornings. I loved "Love Letters to Kellie" and the "Hizziewood Hizzle." I remember Kellie's pregnancy with Emma Kelly and counting the days with fans until she was born. The time Shannon climbed into the canal, although I think I just heard about it, but it was brought up frequently enough. I loved hearing Kidd's stories about his daughter, Caroline. Those years listening I felt I had grown to know these people talking at me through my radio speakers.
So in early 2006, when Hanson played in the studio, I called out sick from work, drove to a friend's apartment in Irivng and we went to Las Colinas on the canal. Watching Kidd set up for the day was so much fun, he interacted with not just the audience inside the studio, but also the ones who had stood outside that cool spring morning to watch. He loved what he did and I always admire those who do what they are passionate about and give back to the community all at the same time.
Unfortunately in 2007, I moved from Dallas, and while he was syndicated on radio stations around me, I could not find him on any of the local ones except briefly in 2009. Initially after my move, I streamed the show every chance I could, but the ads and the traffic upset me because even though I high tailed it out of Dallas to avoid a negative situation, I truly missed it. As I gained full time employment I would check in on the website every few months to see how the crew was doing, but could never catch a broadcast. Then technology advanced and I kept looking for apps that had his show, but stopped looking and while I missed the show, accepted that it would be treat whenever I visited Dallas to listen live.
Sunday morning at about 3 AM I found out through some friends on Facebook that Kidd had died the previous evening. My heart, or what is left of it, is completely broken by this news. You see, J and I have been talking about moving to Texas for the last year and Dallas was a possibility. I looked forward to the show. I looked forward to the sign off. I am sure the show will go on with the remaining cast and Kidd's spirit will live on through them, but it is going to be hard not to hear that familiar voice.
My thoughts and my prayers go out to not just Kellie, Al, J-si, Shannon, and Jenna (who I am getting to know because she wasn't part of the crew when I moved), but Kidd's family and of course his fans. I can't begin to describe my heartbreak over this and I know to many people it sounds silly, "a morning show DJ? Really?" But living in the Metroplex you can't not be touched by the work of Kidd. Unless you're living under a rock, you cannot not have listened to him at least once. He is part of what makes Dallas, Dallas. And I don't think it will ever be the same without him.
No comments:
Post a Comment